Wednesday, September 22, 2010

To migrate to Google Sites or not?

Before Picasa was ready for prime time, I started leasing the macreutter.com domain and put up a personal website, hosted at goDaddy, mostly in order to share photos with the family (and especially with the grandparents once Connor was born).  I wrote some crappy custom PHP so that all I really had to do was dump photos into a folder and FTP them to the site and it would display them as a photo album. 


However, Picasa (and YouTube for videos) is now a valid competitor to my homegrown solution and may be easier to maintain "indefinitely", so if I start using Picasa exclusively for online family photo albums, I'd no longer need all that space on the hosted website, so perhaps I could use Google Sites to host the rest of the (fairly spare) macreutter.com website.  This would cost less (the ~$40/year is pretty negligible, but I could promise to spend it on friends' video games or something), *but*:

  1. I'd have to migrate everything to Google Sites, which is mildly time-consuming, but more of a pain because they don't support CSS stylesheets.  You can hack around it by putting style information within elements, but to me that violates the whole freakin' point of having a stylesheet.
  2. Did I mention they don't support CSS?!
I re-upped the webhosting for a year a couple months ago, so I've got some more time to decide, but I'm leaning more and more towards Google Sites, despite the lack of CSS.  There will be fairly few pages on the family website, and they will change rarely.  The material that will change/update will all be on Picasa/YouTube/Blogger, so the migration may be my Christmas vacation project...

No comments:

Post a Comment