Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Fledgling: a novel (Butler, Octavia) 2005

Butler has been dearly departed for three years now, so I hardly expected to find a "new" novel by her... and yet, we missed Fledgling when it was published, and so here I am, enjoying the uncomfortable issues of what it means to be human (or Ina, in the case of this novel) and what constitutes moral behavior that Butler raises so well.  It's not nearly as good as Lilith's Brood, and the editing is atrocious, but I'll happily take it as another fond farewell to one of my favorite SF authors and be sad all over again that I can't expect more novels from her.

--spoilers--

Even better, I happend to come across this shortly after finishing I am Legend.  I didn't know either book was a "new look at vampires" when I started reading them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment