Friday, August 20, 2010

The Island (2005)

We are so far behind on our bad SF movies.  Okay, so we've got one part Logan's Run, one part the Prisoner, one part THX-1138, and it's all a big mess that ends with further proof that Ewan McGregor can't carry the part of a traditional action movie hero -- alert!  A young Harrison Ford is not walking through that door, so stop trying to write and direct as if that's what you've got!  McGregor brings other skills to the project, so use them!

And as usual, the writing is a problem here.  The concept is all right, nothing wrong with that, but the only scene in which the writers made me feel like I'm watching people raised differently from me is when Gandu Three Echo and Neelix get the censor to slip and they discover the word "Dood!"  Otherwise, there's just so much I have trouble with.  So, I'm supposed to believe that Buscemi and McGregor are friends, and I get the impression that the relationship is at least a few months old, but that McGregor has just noticed Buscemi's pin-up collection for the first time?  Now I'm distracted thinking about that instead of paying attention to the plot.  Oh.  Ohhhhh.... I get it now.  Well, at least during all the action-y sequences all the characters seem to do reasonably intelligent things, and Ewan and Scarlett's escape doesn't rely upon the blinding stupidity of their captors.  I guess that saves this from dropping below three stars.


So, now Mark Christopher Lawrence is my hero of the movie for playing the part of the Construction Worker and delivering the lines:
 
Construction Worker: [after Lincoln and Jordan had fallen from the building, he grabs Lincoln] Jesus must love you! [then helping Jordan]  I *know* Jesus loves you!

"Jordan" is Scarlett Johansson's character.  Out of context, it's not as funny, but it's the right line at the right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment