Sunday, August 22, 2010

Don't Fear the Reaper

No, seriously, don't.  It's just me with my package in the mail from Perry, Maine!  Let's lay the contents out...


Heeding all the warning labels...


Next assemble the snath with wood glue, wait half an hour, and affix the blade (cover on, for the moment, because it's sharp)


Now we're ready to cut some weeds!


I've been thinking about getting a scythe for a few years and couldn't find a place in VT that made them.  Scythe Supply in Maine helped me with blade selection (I've got a 24" ditch blade) and got me set up with an outfit.  After a short test run with the scythe, I'm in love with this tool.  Much better than a string trimmer at cutting down the thicker weeds, in addition to being quieter and requiring less effort to wield (the scythe is light and only requires that you be able to turn at the waist in order to cut).  If I improve my form, it might eventually replace the reel mower.

No comments:

Post a Comment