Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Secret of Kells (2009)

The Secret of Kells is beautiful to watch.  I'm not sure the stories really come together; the Aisling-Brendan relationship is the centerpiece of the movie, but she disappears without a trace once he gets the crystal (though the white wolf appears briefly as he and Aidan make their escape), so I'm left with unanswered questions, mainly what happened to Aisling?  Does Brendan ever think about her?  I would have been happy with a simple acknowledgement of his childhood friendship as he passes through the woods on the way back to Kells.  We don't need to actually see Aisling, I just want to see him thinking about her and looking at and listening to her woods -- maybe he's come to disbelieve that there ever was a wolf girl in the woods and he imagined her, maybe once he's a grown up illuminator of the Gospel he doesn't need any childish paganism any more (though I can't quite accept that :-).  Maybe something like that was there and I missed it, but it seemed like Brendan simply goes back to Kells to talk to his uncle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment