Saturday, January 4, 2014

Calville Blanc d'Hiver

Four years ago, I discovered the Scott Farm heirloom apples at City Market.  They continue to be my favorite orchard**, though I still haven't visited Dummerston in fall.  

One of the apples they grow that I particularly enjoy is the Calville Blanc d'Hiver, or "white winter calville".  Based upon the pictures I've seen elsewhere, this apple's appearance seems to be highly variable, so I've included a couple representative pictures of what is sold by Scott Farm.  The most distinctive visual features are the vertical ridges -- the Orange Pippin review calls it ugly and misshapen, but I find it unique and beautiful.


The Adam's Apples blog has a fairly good description of the apple, and notes its distinctive banana-pear smell and taste, but I strongly object to the idea that this apple is "not really for eating out of hand."  It is, in fact, delicious on its own as a light dessert or late night snack.



** though I'm very partial to picking the early macs at Shelburne Orchards, and my kids love the tire swing

No comments:

Post a Comment