Saturday, November 3, 2012

Wintering the garden


I swear, I love my road bike, but this is really the last day I'm riding it this year, if only because I'm tired of taking it down off the hooks in the garage, just days after putting it up, thinking that *that* was the last nice day of the year I could do a quick errand by bike (today it was cold enough for my throat to and lungs to feel raw).

But now that the vegetables are done and ready to be pulled (with the exception of some brussels sprouts that I have hope for, and some sorrel that won't give up), I wanted winter rye and pulled out the bike to go to Gardener's Supply.  Sadly, they were all out of winter rye, but still had something that sounded like "hairy kvetch".  I'm... not familiar with that.  Turns out it's hairy vetch, which is an equally odd name, but supposedly just as good a winter ground cover as winter rye (and often used in combination).

I was going to post a picture, but there's not much to see right now except dirt.


No comments:

Post a Comment