Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Death by falling

We finally saw Up with the kids, and aside from being a great movie with strong themes of love, loss, grief, and moving on, and employing a wonderful metaphor of how Carl's house, and the baggage that goes with it, literally weighs him down, it also features the Death By Falling of the main antagonist.  While appropriate for this particular movie, I hope that Pixar doesn't slide into this Disney trap.


With help from the repository of all knowledge, I compiled the following list of villain deaths** in Walt Disney Animation Studio movies. 

  1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs; the Queen; DbF
  2. Cinderella; Dragon Lucifer, the cat; DbF
  3. Sleeping Beauty; Maleficent; sword in the heart
  4. The Great Mouse Detective; Ratigan; DbF
  5. Oliver and Company; Sykes; DbF (assisted by train impact and drowning in Hudson river)
  6. The Little Mermaind; Ursula; bowsprit in the heart
  7. Rescuers Down Under; McLeach; DbF
  8. Beauty and the Beast; Gaston; DbF
  9. The Lion King; Scar; eaten by hyenas after falling (Mufasa also DbF, assisted by trampling)
  10. The Hunchback of Notre Dame; Frollo; DbF
  11. Mulan; Shan Yu; pyrotechnics
  12. Tarzan; Clayton; hanging assisted by fall
  13. Dinosaur; Carnotaurus; DbF
  14. Atlantis: the Lost Empire; Rourke; crystal slash to arm(? I haven't seen this one, so am going by the Wikipedia description)
  15. The Princess and the Frog; Facilier; dragged to underworld 
  16. Tangled; Gothel; old age (with gratuitous fall thrown in)

I count falls involved in the death scenes of 11 of 16 villains, and it's only the last 10-15 years that they've really starting to move away from DbF as the preferred method of removing the hero as the agency of death.  






** I'm ignoring the existence of the Black Cauldron, and discounting the rat in Lady and the Tramp and the Titans in Hercules.  I also haven't seen Treasure Planet, and can't figure from its Wikipedia description whether there is a villain.

3 comments:

  1. I thought the cat in Cinderella was named Lucifer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dragon is the cat in The Secret of NIMH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Total brainfart and I should have looked it up rather than assuming I was remembering correctly. I love Elizabeth Hartman's voice so much from that performance that I heard her reading about Jonathan's death in Nicodemus's journal, instead of Ilene Woods lamenting being locked in the tower while Lucifer held Gus under a teacup.

      If you told me in 1982 that the Secret of NIMH would be the last Don Bluth film I'd like, I wouldn't believe you. 30 years later, I'm still a little in shock.

      Delete