Monday, November 7, 2011

Open letter to Vanguard


I recently received a snail-mail letter telling me to stay invested in Admiral Shares.  This pisses me off for a couple reasons:

  1. I'm signed up for e-Delivery on all possible communications from Vanguard.  Only letters that the Feds require you to snail-mail to me should come via the post office.  I seriously doubt this falls under that category.
  2. This was my Roth IRA account, which I opened in 1998 and have maximized contributions to every year.  Because of Vanguard's once-stricter conditions on switching to Admiral shares and the crappy economy over the last 13 years, it wasn't until last year that I *could* switch to Admiral shares.  I had been desperately wishing for Admiral shares until then, and I certainly don't need to be told to stay in them.

I love Vanguard, but you are wasting money on fluff.  Whatever you spent snail-mailing me this letter (over and above the cost of sending me an e-mail) is money that should be going into my retirement account.  Stop it.  Never, ever, ever, send me another paper letter about how great Admiral shares are.  You have my e-mail address.  I read e-mails from Vanguard.  Send communications there.

No comments:

Post a Comment