Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Google search killed the bookmarks toolbar

Sure, we've known this for a long time, but it really didn't hit home until I switched to Chrome as my browser and got used to its severely limited bookmarking capabilities.  Still, the enormous crusty old set of bookmarks remained on Firefox until I recently got the go-ahead from Sarah to clean 'em out.  But I couldn't simply throw away seventeen years of accumulated stuff without lovingly clicking on each one...
  • A number of them simply didn't link to anything anymore.  
  • A bunch of them are to sites and information that is trivial to get to with a Google search.  
  • There are a very few that I'm considering keeping because they represent something that I might need but would have difficulty remembering the correct keywords to find with a Google search.

And, there are a few that deserve a little retrospective before they go.


(approx 1997-98?)  What every new grad student should know.  I assume Sarah found this while at NWU.  I certainly didn't have it at Duke; maybe I would have finished the PhD if I'd figured out some of this stuff sooner.




(approx 1998)  Duncan House.  We got our wedding rings from Duncan House.  Back in '98, he was still on the U.S. Pacific coast and presumably dreaming of one day moving to the Isle of Skye.  He still does beautiful work, though the skyrocketing price of gold probably means that we'll be looking at the Cuchulain rings in silver.






(approx 2000-2001) Seascape sailing.  


Best.
Vacation.
Ever.


We did this the summer we moved to Vermont.



No comments:

Post a Comment