Thursday, September 22, 2011

Netflix and me, the sucker

A lot has been said about Netflix/Qwikster, but one thing I haven't seen stressed enough is this: 


Actually, scratch that.  I was about to say that I, and presumably many other Netflix customers, still have the streaming service solely because we want 3 DVDs out at a time.  This was based on the fact that when the new pricing went into effect and I looked at the options online, it looked to me that if you wanted no streaming, you could only get 2 or 1 out at a time... but when I went to go get a screenshot of that for this blog entry, I finally noticed the "Show Additional all DVD Plans" text in the lower right.  Because I have "only" a 20-inch screen and usually have the bookmarks sidebar open, half the text was off the screen.






So... it turns out that you could simply cancel streaming from the get-go, and if you were just using the DVD service anyway, actually pay less than you were previously paying.  





So, aside from Netflix's skeezy tactics of not showing the 3 DVDs out at-a-time with no streaming option by default, what's the big deal here?


(I mean aside from the fact that now that the DVD rentals are a separate business, everyone like me will drop the streaming service until streaming matures to the point where it can almost completely replace the DVD rental service... at which point, the best option might not be Netflix.)


No comments:

Post a Comment