Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Mix tapes for the 21st century

Been playing with some Chrome apps.  A friend recommend We Are Hunted, but while I like the idea of having a "radio" that plays through new music, I had to keep stopping what I was doing to skip to the next song, and at the end of the day, I had about 4 songs marked that I kinda sorta liked.  So I went hunting through the music section of the Chrome apps store, and Mflow was highly recommended. 


The search isn't bad; it starts showing results as you type and separates the results into artists, albums, users, and tags (sadly, not tracks here, though if you do search by a particular song name, the search results do show a tracks section).  The track listings also helpfully show which album the track is pulled from, which is important when you want the version of "Pressure" from the Nylon Curtain and not the one on the Greatest Hits album.


I'm having fun with this, because I can check out holes in our music collection, and confirm things like:

  • we're good to go with Prolonging the Magic and don't need any other Cake albums
  • we're good with just the first two Cranberries albums
  • same with Ben Folds Five's second and third albums and can skip his solo career, though I might be convinced that we need "Rockin' the Suburbs"

Sure, previewing music online isn't new, but my prior experience with places like last.fm gave me the impression that most places just gave you clips, and while you can hear full tracks youtube, it's less convenient to listen to whole albums (and I'm still a bit of a sucker for albums).


What I'm not entirely satisfied with on mflow is the selection.  It occurred to me that creating and sharing mflow playlists would be a good replacement for mix tapes; however, until they have more Shelleyan Orphan, that won't work for us. 


So what other services are out there?  Here's another situation where Wikipedia is really helpful, with a list of online music databases, and in particular the streaming services.  Of these, I need to check out Grooveshark, and maybe I'll check last.fm again, but the rest seem like they won't suit my needs.  The one that allows me to share "Confessions of a Sock Monkey" as a cloud mixtape soonest wins.


...of course, there's also Mixcloud, which would allow me to put in my own audio -- very helpful when the mix includes a sample from Mahler's 5th, or if I want to read the script as part of the mix.  I'll have to look into that, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment