Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Sisters Mortland (Beauman, Sally) 2005

Sarahmac recommended this one, and she got it recommended from Chinaberry. I can't exactly call it an enjoyable read because it's so depressing, but the plot is engaging (it was hard to put down) and the characters are vivid.  

<

Unfortunately, it requires two suspensions of disbelief on Dan's doorstep.  The first is when Julia accuses Dan of seducing her daughter.  I'm really supposed to believe that Julia, the intelligent and rational Julia, believes that if Dan were up to no good, he would have answered the door that morning, much less had a protracted conversation?  Maybe I'll buy that one.  Later on, however, I'm supposed to believe that Dan, even in his current state of mind, is so bent on getting himself killed that he's not even slightly curious as to why Julia would bring his beloved godson Tom to his neighborhood?  Sorry, that I can't swallow.

No comments:

Post a Comment