Monday, October 20, 2008

"but you better throw out the rest of that soap, just in case"

Last week I got a bad case of poison ivy on my lower legs, and over the weekend, started getting hives all over my ankles and torso. Sarahmac had had a similar rash in August, which the doctor put down to "mysterious allergenic reaction", put her on mega-antihistimes, and it eventually cleared up. On the way to the doctor's office, she pointed out that I had just started a new bar of soap -- one of those bars that I used to collect from hotels, and had finally decided to get rid of by using up -- and given her past experience with rashes from nasty hotel soap, perhaps that was the culprit. I tell my doctor about the soap, she looks at how the rash on my ankles surrounds the worst of the poison ivy and notes that sometimes a bad case of poison ivy will cause a more systemic reaction, and then she says, "but you better throw out the rest of that soap, just in case." Oh, yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment