Friday, December 18, 2015

Star Wars openings

John Kovalic posted memories of his viewings of the previous 6 live action Star Wars movies, so of course that got me thinking.

Star Wars (1977).  I saw this the summer it was released at the Eatontown Drive-In Theater (RIP).  I was 5 and my only memory of this viewing is that when Princess Leia declared, "Darth Vader, only you could be so bold," I thought she said "bowled" and wondered if they were going to Asbury Lanes (back when it was "just" a bowling alley).

Empire Strikes Back (1980).  I have no idea where I saw this first, but the likely suspects are Middlebrook, Seaview Square, the Shrewsbury 3, or maybe Red Bank.

Return of the Jedi (1983).  Stood in line outside the Seaview Square Cinema for what felt like an entire showing in order to get in.  This was the first, and only one of a handful, of movies I've seen twice during their original run.

The Special Editions (1997).  Seen at the Carmike 15 in Durham, NC, with a bunch of Duke grad students.

The Phantom Menace (1999).  Seen somewhere in Chicagoland with a bunch of Northwestern grad students.

Attack of the Clones (2002).  We were furniture shopping in Hickory, NC when Killer Clones from Outer Space opened.  Went to the local megaplex hoping to get in and the place was empty. 

Revenge of the Sith (2005).  We had a 1-year-old and knew we didn't want to pay a babysitter in order to see this, so we took turns going out to the Essex Cinemas.

The Force Awakens (2014). TBD

No comments:

Post a Comment