Thursday, December 24, 2015

A month (or two) with Fi

There are lots of reviews of Google's Project Fi out there.  This is from the perspective of someone who:
  • Is switching from a dumb phone
  • Makes extremely few calls away from a WiFi hotspot
... so, naturally, it's a great deal for me compared to Verizon (which AFAIK is the only real alternative in the Green Mountains).  I haven't had a chance to test Fi in the Northeast Kingdom, but it's done well in the Champlain Valley.

Things I've learned so far:

  • On long car trips, if I'm going to use it to provide directions, I need a car charger.
  • Incoming calls appear to continue be routed through Google Hangouts.  Thus, my laptop rings, my tablet rings, and finally my phone rings.  This isn't really a bad thing, but I could wish that it rang my phone before it rang my tablet. 
  • I can send texts with the Messenger app, and they are received by the other party, but return texts are routed through Google Hangouts; that is, they never appear in Messenger.  This is actually a Good Thing (tm) IMO, because I like Hangouts and want all of my SMS history there along with my hangout history, but it's a little weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment