Thursday, May 15, 2014

Tablets

I bought a 2013 Nexus 7 off eBay for < $150, have been playing with it for a week, and have the following observations:

1. When searching for Nexus 7's, it's really important to differentiate between the 2012 model, which had a much lower screen resolution, and the 2013 model.  The 2012 models tend to go for less on eBay, but the prices are all over the place.

2. The higher screen resolution on the smaller screen is totally worth it. 

3. The 7" size is a great size for carrying around in my hand, but we also still like the 10" screen (our experience is with an iPad2) for sharing the screen with someone else while sitting on the sofa.  They have slightly different "sweet spots" for optimal use.


4. Compared to the iPad2:
4a. I really like that there are no physical buttons on the face of the Nexus.
4b. I like that there are three virtual buttons on the face of the Nexus that go Back, return to Home, and bring up the List of Running Apps, compared to the single physical button on the iPad2 that returns to Home (1-click) or brings up the List of Running Apps (2-clicks).
4c. I like that the buttons that do exist (sleep/off/on and volume) are right next to each other on the edge of the device, rather than on different edges.
4d. I like the stronger integration of my Google account, so that there is an on-screen widget that displays my calendar.
Some of these features may be equally good on the iPad mini.  I suspect that on the iPad, the integration with an Apple account is better, so the Nexus is a better fit for me personally.

5. Androminion, not Sanger Rainsford, might be the most dangerous game.

No comments:

Post a Comment