Monday, June 18, 2012

Lymans everywhere

The local middle school is Hunt Middle School, or, more fully, Lyman C. Hunt Middle School.  I just discovered that Calahan Park** is more fully Lyman C. Calahan Park.  They've got to be related, right?  I mean, I know people with the last name Lyman, but Lyman as a first name feels like someone used a family surname, and for two prominent Lymans to be in a small town like Burlington, they probably had the same grandmother or great-grandmother, right?


Well, maybe not.  Turns out that Lyman was a reasonably popular name until it died out in the 50's.  That timing is also consistent with the age of Jon Arbuckle's roommate.  Poor Lyman.  I didn't even know he was dead.  




** yes, that looks like a typo to me, and to Google, too, which wants to know "did you mean callahan"?

No comments:

Post a Comment