Friday, June 8, 2012

I Love You Philip Morris (2009)

Since I didn't really read the netflix description (which are generally terrible anyway), I was really confused because I thought this movie was something in the strain of Thank You for Smoking, so it took a little readjustment when it turned out to be Brokeback Me If You Can.  The problem is that DiCaprio's Frank Abagnale is a charming scoundrel in the Han Solo vein, while Carey's Steven Jay Russell is... not so much.  It would be one thing if one of the goals of I Love You Philip Morris was to underscore Russell's sociopathy, but aside from Carey's performance, the whole tone of the film is that of an offbeat romantic comedy... and it's the offbeat romantic comedy parts that really click.  Leslie Mann is great, Ewan McGregor is perfect, and it's Jim Carey playing his part like Tom Hanks' Forrest Gump (that's not a compliment) that keeps this from being a very good movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment