Thursday, July 2, 2015

My William Sadler / Robert Patrick confusion

...or, Why I'm Once Again Thankful to Live in the Age of the Internet.

When Terminator 2 was released, I remember being told that the actor who played the T-1000 had been in Die Harder.  Naturally, I took this to mean that the T-1000 was the same actor as the colonel whathisname doing naked calisthenics in his hotel room, and not some redshirt who is offed early on in the luggage sorting room (or wherever the hell that scene is set in the airport; I'm not rewatching any of the Die Hard sequels; one way or another, he's gone in the first 20 seconds of that clip)**.  They didn't really look alike, but this was back in the dark ages, before I could look this up on the IMDB or compare movie clips on YouTube.

Anyway, this is why, when we rewatched Iron Man 3 the other night, I said, "Hey, it's President Robert Patrick!" before realizing a minute later, "Aw crap, no, that's... that's William Sadler.  We loved him in Wonderfalls."  I don't have this problem with movies made in the last 20 years.


** This was an entirely reasonable assumption, IMO.  If someone had told you that same summer that the main villain in the upcoming Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves movie had been in Die Hard, you would have assumed (correctly) it was the actor who played Hans Gruber, not Heinrich.

No comments:

Post a Comment