Monday, May 18, 2015

A tale of two marketing campaigns

Apple watch was heavily marketing to the Daily Show crowd the last few weeks, or, at least, when I watched the Daily Show on a tablet.


Android watch, meanwhile, was heavily marketing to the browser game crowd...



It appears that the Apple watch is for couples going through a rough patch in their relationship who expect to solve their differences almost entirely through emojis**, while the Android watch is for cool single kids who hang out to do interpretive dance together.  Emotionally, I'm drawn to the Android kids, but in both commercials, I still come away with no idea of what you can actually do with a smart watch***, and a lessened desire to buy one.


** yes, I know there are other Apple watch ads, but they played "Us", and only "Us", on the Daily Show website for two solid weeks.

*** I'm pretty sure it will replace the fitbit, but what else?  I'm also pretty sure I can look this up elsewhere, but I should get some ideas from the ads.  It's why they're paying for them, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment