Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Ender's Game (2013)


So, we netflixed Ender's Game.

It's a solid SF film with some good performances, and is reasonably true to the book, or at least my 20+ year old memories of the book. 

I would like to see a version in which Harrison Ford and Viola Davis switch roles.  They would both be capable of this.

You might recall that, at the time the film was released, there grave concerns about Orson Scott Card's homophobia, and whether one can support the art without supporting the person.  Generally I'm for listening to Wagner and opposing anti-Semitism, living by Jefferson's ideals and opposing slavery, and so on.  Still, everything they have done carries a taint for me.

This put me in mind of Bill Cosby, because I find it easier to separate Card, Wagner, and Jefferson the sometimes-a@@holes from their work.  Why is that?  I think it's because the "persona" of Bill Cosby the man, even if it is merely a front, is inextricably tied to his work, so I can't watch "Bill Cosby: Himself" any more.  It would be like if any of the Fred Rogers rumors were true.

No comments:

Post a Comment