Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Irony: musical IP edition

Another stray thought, another www-enabled rabbit hole.  This one ends at Bridgit Mendler's music video of Ready or Not:


Oi.  

Some day, I'll do a better job of backtracking to the journey's start, but in this case I know that I was led to peruse the Fugees wikipedia page, which mentions their song "Ready or Not" in the context of a near-lawsuit from Enya.  Oh, we've got to hear that:


This video was almost the moment I had to wonder, "well, how did I get here?"  The juxtaposition of the lyrics "Gonna find you and make you want me" with Enya's "Boadicea" with the military manhunt-themed visuals is WTF-inducing.

But then, I saw Shaylie Hayes' top-rated comment:
Did Bridgit mendler steal this song ?
And Adam Beneratti's incomprehensible reply:
Who [...] is.....STOLE WHAT? She better not, cause this is Fugees original song and any other that contain with the same beat or lyrics is definitely stolen, or accepted to be played from the artists them self. :)
Oh, the irony of a song inspired by four other artists being vigorously defended as entirely "original", and that Ms. Mendler's version does not appear to sample Enya at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment