Friday, March 8, 2013

The Gamers: Dorkness Rising; 2008

I netflixed this for background noise while working on my scenario for PrinceCon, but unfortunately didn't get much work done on the scenario that evening, because The Gamers: Dorkness Rising is as fine a movie as can be made on the subject of tabletop roleplaying.  I'm not being facetious, either.  Yes, the production is amateurish (the sound is especially weak; you can hear when they switch from one recording of dialogue to another), but the script shows a deep understanding of gamer culture, exposing its little peccadillos (so much of the movie is hilarious if you have ever gamed) while also respecting that culture -- I like these characters, and I like their story.

Naturally, since I didn't know about this movie until recently, I missed the Kickstarter campaign... I'd be a little worried that Dorkness Rising was catching lightning in a bottle, but here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment