Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Using gmail the right/wrong way

For about 5-6(?) years, I've been using Gmail exclusively for e-mail, and for most of that time, I haven't bothered deleting anything; however, over the past week I've been trimming.  Why? I wasn't even close to the limit (19% of space used).  


The problem is how I was using Gmail.  I'm a member of several listservs, some of which receive many e-mails in a day that I don't want to see until I had a free moment to look at them, so I was auto-labeling and archiving them, then clicking on the label when I wanted to read them.  The problem is that after a few years, one of the labels had 12k conversations, and it would take upwards of 20 seconds for Gmail to (presumably search and sort by date and finally) display the messages.  So I started cutting old messages, and now it's much zippier.


Now, the way I'm probably supposed to be using Gmail is to send those e-mails to a secondary inbox and actively archive them; that way, I'd only load the whole label when I'm searching for an old e-mail.  Of course, that's based on a search, so I'd have to give them an extra label to put those items in a secondary inbox.  I don't think priority inboxes would be useful here; I *know* which items I want to go in this secondary inbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment