Friday, September 24, 2010

Ondine (2009)

Ondine is about a modern-day Irish fisherman (Colin Farrell) who pulls a woman out of the water in his nets.  Just a few minutes into the film, I had the following questions:
  1. Was Neil Jordan watching Splash one night and thought, "What if we made this a drama instead of a comedy?"  Nah, probably not.  Jordan probably grew up with selkie myths.
  2. Given that Neil Jordan is the director, will Ondine turn out to actually be a guy selkie?
  3. Why in Zeus's name did Oliver Stone think that Farrell could possibly play Alexander?  Sigh.  I think this every time we watch a movie with Farrell in it; even Veronica Guerin.  Fortunately he's up to the task of playing a kind-hearted but not-so-bright guy in this film.  In fact, he's great!
In the end, and all in all, this was a good little film.  I didn't like some of the camerawork, and I don't quite believe Syracuse's bender, but the girl who plays Annie grows on you and Bachleda actually knows how to swim and does a nice butterfly stroke in one scene.  This would be 7 of 10, and I can't quite bring myself to give it 4 of 5.  Netflix, give me more granularity!!

No comments:

Post a Comment