Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Colchester Triathlon 2010

The race was on Sunday and I'm overdue on an update.  First off, it was a great event; it was organized really well and checkin, bike station setup, and the race start all went smoothly.  I definitely want to do it again.  During the race:
  • As expected, I finished the swimming quickly and had a good spot in the pack.  I actually need to be more aggressive about taking a spot further up in the pack.  The swimming pack itself is quite an experience; just a lot of bodies and someone can run into you or pull up short in front of you, at any time.
  • As expected, I got creamed on the cycling.  Several dozen people passed me.  Gotta get a road bike for the next time and improve my cycling.  Probably some aerobars, too.  My right hand was numb by the 10th mile.
  • Slightly unexpectedly, I got winded on the running and had to alternate running/walking.  Somewhere between one or two dozen people passed me.  Gotta improve my overall conditioning so I'm not as beat once I get to the running.
The "interim results" posted at the race said I finished in 1:28, smack in the middle of the pack.  There'll be more on the swim/bike/run breakdown later.

No comments:

Post a Comment