Saturday, April 17, 2010

Mockingbird; Stewart, Sean; 1998

Another Nebula finalist, and a deserving one.  Here I was, all ready to rip SFWA for not having honored either Mockingbird or Perfect Circle with the Nebula award, and then when I looked up the finalists those years, found that he had lost to Parable of the Talents (which, while good, was really a belated honoring of Parable of the Sower) and Paladin of Souls (which I liked just as much as Perfect Circle) respectively.  Oh, well.  Bad timing, Sean.

Unfortunately, since Perfect Circle, Stewart's bibliography consists of a Star Wars novel and a trilogy of YA ARGs.  A guy's gotta eat, but one wonders if a well-deserved Nebula would have given his works enough of a sales boost to keep him writing the good stuff (though given that the wonderful Nicola Griffith hasn't published a SF novel since winning in 1995, who knows?).  As it stands, I need to look into his earlier stuff. 

Note: posted 4/24/2013, backdated because to when I finished the book and wrote up my original notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment