Monday, January 12, 2009

Water for elephants : a novel (Gruen, Sara) 2006

[posted 3/26/9, backdated to 1/12/9 because that's when I finished the book]

I was sick from work yesterday and took the opportunity to finally read the copy of Water for Elephants I've had sitting on the shelf -- it reminded me a little of The Girl in the Glass, though I think the plot of Water for Elephants is stronger (disclaimer: I briefly worked with Sara Gruen at SPSS, Inc.).  I found the structural decisions interesting, because the 1931 part of the story holds up really well on its own without the "present day" chapters *except* for the fact that including the present provides a much stronger ending than would have been possible by setting the book entirely in the past, and it also allows for the flashback introductory chapter that serves to draw us immediately into the story.  Initially I dreaded that the present day chapters would be a distraction, but the present chapters are only as long as they have to be and Sara does a great job of flowing Jacob's reminiscences into the present day so that it all hangs together.  My favorite paragraph: "Dear God.  Not only am I unemployed and homeless, but I also have a pregnant woman, bereaved dog, elephant, and eleven horses to take care of."  Hopefully it will take me less time to get to Ape House.

No comments:

Post a Comment